As you all know PLDT and Smartbro can be considered a single company. PLDT is the mother company and Smartbro is its subsidiary company.
The company as a whole offers two kinds of Internet connections: a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) and a wireless broadband internet.
If you are thinking of applying for internet connection you may be wondering which of these two is better.
Let's take a look from the Wireless Broadband Subscriber's (Smartbro) perspective.
1. There is minimal interruption of service. This is true because data travels through air instead of wires. You won't lose your connection because of faulty telephone wires, wire theft (happens a lot in our country), or telephone wire accidents (typhoon).
2. You don't need an existing telephone line. With DSL, if you don't have an existing phone line you still have to apply for one. This could take some time because PLDT has to check a lot of things like, is there an available slot in your area? If there is none, you will have to wait until a slot becomes available.
Meanwhile, Smartbro will only need to setup an antenna in your place. The longest time a subscriber will have to wait for their connection is about two weeks.
1. Connection is Noticeably Less Stable Than DSL. When you view videos with DSL versus Wireless Broadband, wireless broadband will buffer more often.
Bandwidth quality significantly drops when sharing with atleast one more computer. Meanwhile DSL's bandwidth is ok up to three or four computers.
2. Static IP. The assigned IP does not change. This can be a disadvantage with regards to privacy.
It is also advantage with regards to file sharing websites. Most of these websites has time limits. If you have you have used up the limit you can't just reboot your modem and get another IP address (File sharing websites uses the IP Address to identify it's users).
3. Shared IP. Aside from having a Static IP address you are also sharing it with other users probably near your area. Again the problem with this is that you will often get messages on certain websites that you have used up your limit when you have not even visited the website yet. Example websites were this often happens are file sharing and video sharing websites.
And also, if the shared IP address is being investigated for criminal activity by one of it's users, the other user's will also be involved. Fortunately, we haven't heard or known such case happening yet. But it can be a possibility.
4. Commercial Interruptions. This is one of the most annoying thing about Smartbro. At times, you will experience your browser going to a Smartbro Advertisement without your consent.